Homemade pickled onions taste fantastic as part of a cheese platter or served on fresh sandwiches.
The ingredient of Pickled onions
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1kg small pickling onions
- 12 birdseye red chillies
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
The instruction how to make Pickled onions
- Combine salt and 4 cups of water in a large glass bowl. Stir until salt dissolves. Peel skin from onions, leaving onions whole. Add to salted water. Cover. Stand at room temperature overnight.
- Drain onions. Rinse under cold water. Pack into 4 x 3-cup capacity sterilised jars, layering with chillies, bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Place vinegar, sugar and pickling spice into a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until syrup thickens slightly. Set aside to cool completely. Strain liquid. Pour over onions, making sure onions are completely covered. Seal jars. Allow to stand for 3 weeks before using.
- Serve onions with cold ham, cheese, and crackers or bread.
Nutritions of Pickled onionscalories: